As Japan is re-opening its borders for international tourism on October 11th, 2022, potential visitors may wonder where they can go for a Japanese Whisky distillery tour.
Here are some options by rough regional area:
Tokyo / Yokohama / Kanto (or closeish to it)
Please note that none of these options are really in Tokyo / Kanto; they can be potentially done as a day-trip.
- Hakushu distillery in Yamanashi is currently accepting tours by online booking @ https://www.suntory.co.jp/factory/hakushu/ (Japanese) or https://www.suntory.com/factory/hakushu/ (English)
- Kirin’s Fuji Gotemba distillery in Shizuoka is currently accepting tours by online booking @ https://www.kirin.co.jp/experience/factory/gotemba/ (Japanese) or https://www.kirin.co.jp/experience/factory/english/whisky/ (English)
- Newly formed Shizuoka distillery is currently accepting tours by online booking @ https://shizuoka-distillery.jp/tour/
- Nikka Miyagikyo distillery is currently accepting guests for tours @ https://distillery.nikka.com/miyagikyo/reservation
- Mars Shinshu distillery is currently accepting tours @ https://www.hombo.co.jp/factory/shinshu.html
- Asaka distillery in Fukushima is accepting tours, but on a limited basis. Please contact them! https://www.sasanokawa.co.jp/contents/contact.html
- Chichibu distillery is not currently offering tours to the public, but if you are an industry professional, please contact them and they may be able to arrange one for you.
Kyoto / Osaka / Kansai
- Yamazaki Distillery is currently accepting tours by online booking @ https://www.suntory.co.jp/factory/yamazaki/facility/ (Japanese) or https://www.suntory.com/factory/yamazaki/facility/ (English)
- Nagahama distillery in Shiga, producers of the Amahagan brands, are offering tours. See https://www.romanbeer.com/viewing/
- Rokkosan distillery in Kobe is accepting reservations @ https://airrsv.net/Rokkosan-Distillery/calendar
Sapporo / Hokkaido
- Nikka Yoichi is currently accepting guests for tours @ https://distillery.nikka.com/yoichi/reservation
- Akkeshi distillery is not offering tours, but you can check out their virtual tour — https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=mKBGFQy43P1
- Helios distillery is NOT currently offering tours, per https://www.helios-syuzo.co.jp/tour